November 15, 1984
Confined Space Rescue and Toluene Tank Explosion
In this episode, we discuss the 1984 toluene tank explosion that resulted in the LODD of Phoenix Fire Department Engineer-HazMat Technician Ricky Pearce. We honor his contribution to industry-wide change, and we explore how Phoenix and firefighting as a whole evolved from this unfortunate event.
Joining us with over 150 years of firefighting experience: Captain Tom Bates (Ricky’s Captain that day), Captain Chris Pearce (Ricky’s son and current Phoenix Fire Department Captain), Retired Phoenix Assistant Chief Ron Jamison, Surprise, Arizona Fire Chief, Tom Abbott, and the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation’s own, Chief John Tippett.
Join us for our most intimate perspective of an incident yet.
This episode is not to be missed!
Episode Bonus Materials:
- Full Dispatch Transcript of the call
- NFPA Resources for Photovoltaic (PV) Systems
- Phoenix Fire Ops Training
- FACE Report 85-05: Confined Space Incident Kills Two
- Training Resources: IAFF Hazmat Drills
- IC to IC Network – Support for Incident Commanders