The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation and the Everyone Goes Home® Firefighter Life Safety Initiatives Program is pleased to once again participate as a partner in the IAFC/IAFF 2008 Fire/EMS Safety, Health and Survival Week, scheduled for June 22-28, 2008.
The theme for this year is Committed to Long Term Results, which encourages long term investments by both chiefs and firefighters to enhance their health and safety. The ultimate goal is to institute a strong culture of health and safety within the fire/EMS service.
Recommended activities and materials will incorporate three key areas where standard operating procedures, policies and initiatives – along with the training and enforcement that support them – can limit fire/EMS personnel’s risk of injury or death.
- Initiate an emergency vehicle policy, to include:
- Always buckle up.
- Always stop at red lights and stop signs.
- Always drive at speed limits and defensively.
- Fully implement the Wellness-Fitness Initiative:
- Provide annual medical and physical evaluations.
- Provide equipment and time for exercise.
- Provide nutrition information.
- Fully implement NFPA 1500, especially sections addressing PPE:
- Provide compliant PPE.
- Train and enforce use of PPE, including respiratory protection
Keep watching www.iafc.org/safetyweek for more information on this year’s program and planning resources developed by the IAFC Safety Health and Survival Section.